The Planning Board was established in 1962 with the enactment of subdivision control. The Planning Board is the permit granting authority for subdivisions
and land divisions under the subdivision control law (MGL Chapter 41 Section 81).
The Boards power and duties include:
1. Review, hold hearings, propose, and recommend zoning ordinance amendments
2. Review and act of subdivisions
3. Special Permit Granting Authority in the Growth Incentive Zone (GIZ), Wind Energy Conversion Facilities (WECF’s) and Senior Continuing Care Retirement
Community Overlay District (SCCRCOD)
4. Comprehensive Plan
5. Review and act on Scenic Road projects
6. Regulatory Agreements Chapter 168
The Board is composed of 7 members and an affirmative vote of a minimum of 5 members is required to authorize and issue a special permit. For subdivisions
and Approval Not Required plans (ANR), an affirmative vote of 4 members is required.